Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tomatoes to change your life


Roasting tomatoes has changed my life for the better; it is THE way to use up your garden tomatoes.  I like tomatoes and eat them, but I cannot eat all our garden produces.  Because the roasting process is soooo easy, I prefer it to making a sauce or canning, both of which stress me out a bit.

Slice your tomatoes in half and lay them cut side up on a big pan.  I spritz them with olive oil and then sprinkle with course salt, pepper, maybe some rosemary, and a few garlic cloves.  You do not need a lot of spices; these sweeties stand on their own.  Roast them at 250 or so for about 3 hours.  (This can vary...some people suggest 325 for 2 hours or 225 for 5 hours; test it out and watch out for your smaller tomatoes so they don't get too crunchy.)

When you take them out, I promise you, you will eat about 1/2 of them.  They are like candy; my tomato-disliking-husband helps me eat 1/2 the pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...